The core of the research conducted in the department of MSE lies in the following areas:
- Optical Materials (Lucas, Potter, Simmons)
- Integrated Computational Science and Engineering (Muralidharan, Erdmann, Deymier, Poirier, Guven)
- Materials for Energy Conversion and Heat Control (Corral, Muralidharan, Deymier, Potter, Simmons, Loy)
- Materials Synthesis, Processing and Fabrication (Corral, Potter, Loy, Lucas, Muralidharan, Poirier, Raghavan, Keswani)
- Heritage Conservation (Odegaard, Vandiver, Erdmann)
In-depth exploration of these research areas can be found here.